Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Kinetic Typography is done!



The back story to the song can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Car

So basically, the song is a reflection of the original singer, Tracy Chapman's struggles with poverty. She describes how she was leaving her hometown with her boyfriend in a 'fast car' and how she thinks she can 'make it' and 'be someone'.

Hence, the typeface which I chose to accompany this song starts out clean - to reflect a hope. Thereafter, the typeface slowly degrades to a more distorted font (e.g. I used the font "Rock It" for the chorus), to reflect desperation.

This is my first attempt in kinetic typography and it was as enjoyable as much as it was a killer (I know, it's a paradox which I myself don't understand). I actually spent close to 3 days to figure out the mechanisms in After Effects, planning out the animation, executing them....... and then found out that I made a mistake in not "continuously rasterizing" them so everything became extremely pixelated.

But I generally am quite happy with the results. =D=D
I will overcome NM3208! Roar!

2 comments:

  1. Love the effect after 51 secs.... it's really like driving a fast car..."so I remember the we're driving....speed so fast i felt.. drunk".

    Try to include more design aspects of the typeface if the time permits. Sincerely, Julian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian!

    Yes, I love how that effect turned out too.

    Regarding the typeface, I was thinking more of the general concept of the song instead of the literal meaning of each word.. so it starts out clean and hopeful, then slowly degrades to something more distorted to reflect desperation. But yes, I agree that I could include more design aspects. :) thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete